“Eating together can radically shift people’s perspectives: It reduces people’s perceptions of inequality, and diners tend to view those of different races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds as more equal than they would in other social scenarios:” Argues Alice Julier in her book Eating Together.
The table acts as a unifier, a place of community. Sharing a meal is an excuse to talk, one of the few times where people are truly happy. I decided to use this powerful tool to our advantage. The catering and restaurants were not presentable well enough in the near vicinity of our office. Further during financial crisis I wanted to impress our guests, partners and clients and more so, cut the cost. I decided to take matter into my own hand and I have created an original tailor-made fine food to suit our requirements and budget directly in our office.
We had regular events at our office such as:
- Meeting refreshments
- Meeting coffee breaks
- Business luncheons
- Unique office and meeting breakfasts
- Company birthdays or anniversary celebrations
It all gain major success and we observed following advantages:
- We definitely saved a lot of time, by not going to eat out.
- We broke barriers.
- We felt more relaxed to talk.
- We mingled more, which means we got to know each other better.
- We eat & drink what we liked.
- We shone as different, innovative, resourceful and creative company.
- We all had unique unforgettable experience.